Saturday, September 2, 2017

Did I Know What I Was Getting Into?

I received a message tonight from another new military wife who asked me if I knew what I was getting into after she read my pregnancy alone post. I took a minute two write back as I had no idea how to reply.

After a few messages I realized that I wasn't the only person she asked. She was going through a genuine battle of wills with her mind and reaching out and researching the best she could. I completely understood as I looked up everything possible to help me understand what my husband was saying when we were dating. (Google was my friend)

My answer was no, I had no freaking idea what I was getting into when my relationship started with my husband. I didn't have any friends that grew up with a military family and I knew my Dad was in the Army in Vietnam but I never heard him talk about it. I knew absolutely nothing!

I know this sounds completely cheesy but I didn't know what I was getting into and I didn't care. Even from the other side of the world my husband made me feel special and became my best friend when I really needed one. I fell in love with the person I could talk to and vent to. The person that never missed a phone call and laughed at my crazy baby taking over our nightly conversations.

We have been married for six months now and I still don't 100% know what I am getting into with being a military family. I know the distance sucks but I work through it and I know that everntually I will get to see his face every morning and that gives me hope. I don't know what it's like to live on base yet or what it's like to move my kids around but I am completely looking forward to figureing it out! I am starting to figure out that my career will come second to his as I have been told I wasn't eligible for promotion because I am moving in a few months and that's okay. I have had the entire load of life on my shoulders for way to long so I am happy to have someone to share it with.

Every situation and relationship is different so you can't compare everything but sometimes you just have to wait it out. I waited for over a year just to see his smiling face in the same state as me.

At 28 years old I started to learn patience! I have no idea what I am getting myself into but I can't wait to find out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment